By Charles C. W. Cooke
Wednesday, August 26, 2026
Grace Ryan is a rich-girl devotee of the Democratic
Socialists of America who has for some reason decided to spend the better part
of her 20s dressing up as Pierre-Marc-Gaston de Lévis. “Everyone’s trying to
dunk on me for being a progressive from a privileged background,” Ryan said
recently, after she was criticized for being a stereotypical Lulu Lenin, “but
like have y’all never heard of noblesse oblige?”
Ah, there it is.
Ryan’s argument has become rather popular among DSA types
of late. Chafed by the realization that their enemies’ characterizations are
true, the group’s leading lights have begun to embrace the critique and insist
that they have no choice but to help the peons: Oui, je suis un gosse de
riche, mais je t’aiderai volontiers du haut de mon perchoir! After all:
What, besides smash up the system that conferred their privilege, is a decent
privileged person supposed to do?
Well, I’ll tell you: Go away. Scram. Quietly ride
off to the summer house. Grace Ryan asks whether I have heard of noblesse
oblige? Yes, I’ve heard of noblesse oblige. But I don’t want noblesse
oblige, because I don’t want . . . well, noblesse. Noblesse is French for
“nobility.” Screw that! I daresay that Grace Ryan would enjoy sitting on the noblesse
side of that equation, while the undifferentiated mass of subordonnés takes
a vow never to fall too low or to rise too high. But I, for one, want no part
of it. I am for ambition, for movement, for risk. I am for innovation and for
making mistakes. I am for Going West, young man. I am a free American, and I
want the chance to improve myself, not to be rewarded for my inertia by the
suffocating stewardship of Grace Ryan and her buddies. When I was a teenager in
England, my father told me that he had always been confused by the people who
assumed that, because he had grown up working-class, he ought to have disliked
Margaret Thatcher. “Dislike her?” he asked. “She was the first
politician who talked as if I could make it in life without being helped at
every stage by the government.” “Margaret Thatcher,” he said, “was the first
politician who talked as if I had free will.”
Naturally, having been a young adult in Britain in the
1960s and 1970s, my father also didn’t believe that the government could
help him make it in life. Which meant that, in practice, he thought that those
who favored socialism were effectively pulling the ladder up behind them. Are
they not? Grace Ryan’s father became wealthy by buying up a struggling
chocolate company and turning it into a viable business. That was a capitalist
act, achieved by a capitalist, within a capitalist system. For his daughter to
propose that capitalism isn’t working — and, worse still, that it should be
abolished! — is not only absurd, but unconscionably selfish. “I have a moral
obligation,” insists Grace Ryan, “to use my advantages to help those who are
struggling.” And perhaps she does. But if so, she ought to use her advantages
to achieve this, rather than use the government to wreck the method by which
those advantages were accrued. It seems that Ryan’s parents gave her a nice car. If she sold it and replaced it with a Camry, she
could buy an awful lot of books.
Were Grace Ryan’s approach to prevail, the cultural
consequences would be catastrophic. Invariably, figures such as Ryan fail to
understand the link between hard work and success, because, invariably, figures
such as Ryan were not the ones who did the hard work that led to that success.
At one level, I suppose I can’t blame them. Grace Ryan is a useless person, but
she’s also very rich. Of course she thinks that the economy is a
lottery. For her it was! She did nothing of value — indeed, she has never
done anything of value; she lives the life of Riley, nevertheless; ergo,
life must be a game of chance.
There are, alas, many such people among America’s
radicals. Consider the difference in outlook between Abigail Disney and Walt
Disney. Compare the approaches taken by Ro Khanna — another thoroughly useless person, who did
nothing to obtain his fortune and who has done nothing directly to grow it —
and Mark Cuban. Contrast the presumptions of your average DSA-affiliated
heiress and the guy who runs your local plumbing firm. Their views are
irreconcilable, and for good reason: One is building Rome, the other is staring
at the columns and complaining that they didn’t sprout from the ground evenly
across the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment