Sunday, September 6, 2026

Is There Any Capitalist’s Murder That Isn’t Justified?

By James Lileks

Sunday, September 06, 2026

 

The stabbing death of a New York mother and Bank of America vice president by a mentally unstable woman has brought out the absolute finest in revolutionary commentary. From a Palestinian-American filmmaker who tweeted out a bat signal with Luigi Mangione’s face instead of America’s favorite gravel-voiced vigilante, to various commie-kids on X justifying the murder because the victim was involved in (waves hands) all the capitalism, we see how ethically wretched political systems corrupt the humanity of people who believe them.

 

The fact that she was a VP at a bank was reason enough to spit on the corpse, because her job surely consisted of meeting with poor hopeful people who sat across the desk twisting their caps in their calloused hands, begging the bank not to foreclose on their lean-to. She looked at them with a glacial expression and said no and then refused to validate parking for their pack mule. She did this all day. Her job title was probably Vice President in Charge of Maintaining Structural Poverty, so yes, those are precisely the people whose demise Luigi would have nodded with Che-like sagacity. Also, the Bank of America has ties to Israel, which means that when you deposit your check there, it’s instantly converted into a bomb designed to strew tetanus-infected nails in a Gaza preschool. Also, Bank of AMERICA. Say no more.

 

If we are to have societally sanctioned executions of the kulak class, it would be nice to have some definitions, so we aren’t surprised when we get shot or stabbed in the street by an agent of change. Let’s ask a young DSA woman who lives in a $1.7 million townhouse who does, and does not, deserve punishment:

 

Q. Can I work for a bank at all?

 

A. Only if you are oppressed by your position. If you are a janitor, you will be allowed to live, even though you are upholding white-supremacist notions of cleanliness, which use industrial poisons to disinfect instead of using indigenous ways of combatting bathroom tile scum. You are small and interchangeable, and hence a victim. Note: This does not apply to janitorial managers, who interface with bank management, and hence engage in validation of the capitalist system.

 

Q. What if I am promoted to shift manager? If I subvert the system from the inside by appropriating bathroom tissue and selling it to underserved communities, can I live?

 

A. Yes, but you will have to explain this — quickly — to the person who has come to stab you, and you cannot make a profit over $5 per day. If you make between $2.50 and $4.99, they will be permitted to stab you in a non-vital location.

 

Q. I am a teller at a bank, and I hate the Zionist occupation entity. Will I be permitted to be un-stabbed?

 

A. You are not high-priority, but if stabbed, it will be noted that you were working for a Zionist-supporting capitalist structure when you could’ve quit and spent your days engaged in meaningful change, such as dashing quarts of red paint on the bank’s windows.

 

Q. I am the senior manager of the New Rochelle branch of the bank. Can you guarantee that I will not be shot in the head in front of my small children?

 

A. No. If you did not want to be executed in front of your family, you wouldn’t be a banker at all but would be organizing a theatrical group in New Rochelle to protest capitalism through the prism of Queer Drag Polycule Pan-racial Struggles. It’s quite telling that you hold up the idea of “family” as a shield against revolutionary direct action. Your very participation in cis-normative nuclear-family formation delegitimizes your insistence on perpetuating your own existence.

 

Q. No, seriously, I just don’t want my kids to see me get shot in the head.

 

A. Well, I want a pony. Actually, I don’t, since the relationship between man and horse has been historically exploitative, the exception being indigenous adaptation of symbiotic co-existence with the Equine Community to struggle against 19th-century settler-colonialism. But if I am allocated a pony after the revolution, the relationship will be grounded in an acknowledgment of this historical injustice, the oats will be sourced from co-ops, and the groomers and stablehands who take care of my pony will be repositioned former employees of right-wing think tanks. As a lesson to all who think they can change their views without being held accountable for past opinions, Bill Kristol will be in charge of removing manure.

 

Q. No, please, I will buy you a pony. I just don’t want my kids to see me get shot in the head.

 

A. You should have thought of that when I was a young girl at camp and all the other girls were good at dressage and I wasn’t, because my parents could only afford to send me to riding lessons on rented horses instead of getting me one of my own. That’s when I learned how deep the systematic injustices truly are.

 

Hope this helps.

No comments: