Saturday, September 19, 2026

Cashing In on Sydney Sweeney’s Cash-In

By Jonah Goldberg

Friday, September 18, 2026

 

Please forgive me for beginning with such a long excerpt. But I think it’s worth it.

 

Faye Curran, writing in The New Statesman, begins her essay on Sydney Sweeney’s “deal with the devil” thus:

 

How did Sydney Sweeney, the 29-year-old American actress of fluctuating talent, accumulate an estimated fortune of $40m? By knowing a bargain when she sees one. Bargains, that is, of the patriarchal kind – the sort the Turkish feminist Deniz Kandiyoti theorised in 1988. Her argument was that women can negotiate with patriarchal structures, rather than simply submit to or resist them. They extract what advantages they can: protection, status, money. You do not have to believe in the system, Kandiyoti writes, to make it work for you. And Sweeney has figured this out, and is flapping her $100 bills directly in our scrunched-up, reddening faces.

 

She first flexed her bargaining skills in July 2025, following her dalliance with eugenics-inflected advertising. This was the American Eagle denim campaign that bore the tagline, “Sydney Sweeney has great jeans” (ie, genes), which flirted too brazenly with the aesthetics of white supremacy for a large portion of the internet’s liking. …

 

I’d keep going except that’s where the paywall kicked in: “Click here to subscribe.” Actually, I probably wouldn’t have quoted all that, but for the paywall thing. Why? Because I think it’s really funny that writers and magazines are cashing in on Sydney Sweeney’s cashing in.

 

Now, don’t get me wrong. I am in no position to scold anybody about paywalls or pandering to the demands of the market. Not long ago I did a nearly two-hour podcast on Napoleon III (and don’t miss next week’s episode on Frank Meyer and Fusionism).

 

But I like the market. I don’t think making money is anything to be ashamed of absent some other considerations. Robbing people is bad. Using your public office to get even richer is bad (I’m gesturing toward the White House, in case you didn’t know). Heck, I even think hawking sports betting apps is not great, regardless of how tantalizing or prurient the pitch. And while I cannot deny that my eyes have lingered on Sydney Sweeney far longer than they have on Ruth Bader Ginsburg or Yuval Levin, I am even willing to grant that posing (nearly) naked is not the most admirable way to make money.

 

I’m old enough to remember when William F. Buckley Jr. was complaining about the pervasiveness of porn as evidenced by the Abercrombie & Fitch catalog. I think he made many good points, which have since boiled away in the frog-boiling soup that is our thoroughly smuttified popular culture. But I’m a conservative, and I feel like we’re supposed to complain about such things, even if I’ve never been at the vanguard of smut-policing.

 

But, good Lord, has that ship sailed. Anyone remember Paris Hilton on all fours eating a Carl’s Jr. cheeseburger? For you sickos, here’s a reminder. Or all of those ads of Marky Mark and Kate Moss in their underwear? (No links for you! Google it. But first sign up for Express VPN! Use promo code “Remnant”!).

 

I just gave a talk to some Fund for American Studies students. The assigned reading was the introduction to The Myth of Left and Right by Verlan and Hyrum Lewis. One of the very effective techniques the authors use is to show how the positions held by the left and right move back and forth over time. I don’t think they talk about porn in the book, but it fits. When I was in college, Catharine MacKinnon and Andrea Dworkin were leading a crusade against porn as dehumanizing to women. It commodified women, turned them into objects, reinforced sexual stereotypes, etc. I think they sometimes overstated their case, but the case was pretty solid. There were definitely feminists who disagreed, but in the early 1990s, the anti-porn side of second-wave feminists had the whip hand, so to speak.

 

By the middle part of the decade, the pro-porn side grabbed the whip, sometimes kinda literally. Camille Paglia is a special case, but there was also Susie Bright, Wendy McElroy (author of XXX: A Woman’s Right to Pornography), and all the feminists who embraced sex work, sex “positivity”, etc. Suddenly, selling sex—literally and figuratively—was empowering and cool.

 

I think there were wrong and right opinions all along the continuum. But we don’t need to get into the weeds on all of that. My only point is that these arguments are often weaponized for essentially partisan purposes. I don’t necessarily mean Republican vs. Democrat—though that certainly happens. If Donald Trump had run as a Democrat—not at all improbable given that he was one for quite a long time—I’m sure his appearances in softcore porn Playboy movies would have offended a lot of Republicans who now couldn’t care less about his cameo in Playboy Video Centerfold: Playmate 2000 Bernaola Twins (sorry pervs, no links to the actual movie). Heck, they don’t care that he cheated on his (third) wife with Stormy Daniels, award-winning star of Sexbots: Programmed for Pleasure. Heck, given all the AI chatter these days, I’m surprised she hasn’t been interviewed on MS Now about that one. And, let us not forget that many of the people who don’t care about Stormy D now cared a great deal about Monica Lewinsky back then.

 

No, I simply mean partisan in terms of the culture wars more generally. I think it’s preposterous to claim that Sweeney dallied “with eugenics-inflected advertising” or “flirted” with the “aesthetics of white supremacy.” The same ads could have been made with Beyoncé, and the people who read “great jeans” as an offshoot of The Boys from Brazil would probably be shouting “you go, girl!” at Beyoncé’s ownership of patriarchal white male space or some such.

 

The obsession with Sweeney’s very familiar self-marketing strategy is a great example of how media bias isn’t just about left versus right. Sex sells. Ask any TV producer to choose between two hot controversies (well, at least one of them is hot). The first  is about water safety and the other is about Sydney Sweeney using footballs to barely conceal her boobs. When the choice is between a story with B-roll of people in lab coats testing water samples and footage of Sweeney frolicking, guess which one they’ll pick? When the B in B-roll stands for boobs—very nice ones, at least—your notes from that seminar at the Columbia Journalism School achieve their highest utility as a coaster for your coffee. I don’t make the rules.

 

This morning, in response to The New Statesman piece, I tweeted that “People are just trying way, way, too hard on this topic.” My friend Kyle Smith replied, “When you’re writing about bazongas, you have to try extra hard to convince yourself you’re writing an intellectual think piece.”

 

I agree, of course. But that made me wonder: Why don’t more intellectual think pieces incorporate the modalities and vernacular of bazonga discourse? Why do we have to wait for the news peg of commodified ta-tas and tushes?

 

I want to see, say,  Francis Fukuyama opine on the precarious state of the Westphalian nation-state in the era of globalization while unapologetically … uh… tapping Sydney Sweeney discourse and related imagery. Something like:

 

For nearly four centuries, scholars have treated the Peace of Westphalia as the moment the modern state acquired its mature form, akin to that of Sydney Sweeney in White Lotus. Yet generations of theorists have approached this development from an oddly anterior perspective, like when Sweeney sits on the weight bench in the “Just Sports” Novig ads. Viewed from the rear, the achievement of 1648 looks considerably fuller. This posterior view of the Westphalian settlement gave political order not only shape, but an appreciation of the tactile smoothness of categories. The well-endowed state’s curves and contours not only gave theorists a firm sense of where one jurisdiction ended and another began, it gave them a sense of the firm. Sovereignty gathered peoples to the bosoms of civilization, where the Overton window of the politically possible was constrained by a kind of middle way or via media, where political leaders were free to navigate, motorboating, as it were, between the Scylla of retreating universalism and the Charybdis of autarky. Viewed from behind, this framing was a false choice, though a tantalizingly voluptuous one. But until the development of new international trading systems, most leaders were left in a hard place, in what Samuel Huntington might have described as a tautology of ta-tas.

 

Still, state sovereignty did not free small states from the corset of big power domination, size still mattered. Hard power elicits lip-biting desire to violate virgin territories, while soft power invites the destabilizing threat of inadequate performance. What is required for the post-Westphalian age is a more well-rounded approach.

 

Okay, that was stupid. But then again, so is the rest of the Sweeney discourse.

No comments: