By Eva Terry
Thursday, September 10, 2026
Looking out at 3,000 Utahns, Charlie Kirk was shot and
killed a year ago today.
He was debating a young man about gun violence and
transgenderism. I stood on the lawn near the front, covering the event as a
reporter for the Deseret News. I have watched the scene on the backs of
my eyelids a thousand times. The bullet hits him; he closes his eyes; my
co-worker and I drop to the ground and pray. Gathering myself, I brace for
bullets as we run over dots of blood on the concrete.
I see it differently now.
12:23 p.m. was the moment Charlie Kirk lost his life in
the battle for the soul of Gen Z. He was speaking to us that day, and a member
of his target audience rejected his message in the most violent and forceful
way possible.
As his widow, Erika, eulogized, Charlie’s mission was to
“save the lost boys of the West.” My generation has been, in many subversive
ways, manipulated by digital and political interests since we were kids. We are
isolated, overly indoctrinated, and largely ignorant of reality.
This realization hit me during a drive from Wyoming to
Idaho last month, when the aux cord in my little white Hyundai gave up the
ghost. Its death left me with one option: radio. For some context, I’m 24. I’ve
had Spotify since middle school. The radio, I say at risk of dismay from
readers, is a beast I’d never had to wrangle.
Amid vast yellowing fields, I began sifting through
channels. From my half-hour immersion, the only options I found were week-old
political news, Christian pastors preaching salvation, and what sounded like
AI-generated country music. I didn’t realize people listened to this stuff; I
didn’t even realize it existed.
I opted to sit in silence.
Gen Z has never known an uncurated world. We live under
an illusion that our beliefs and preferences are overwhelmingly held by the
majority. Even if we logically understand that other people have different
feeds than our own, we do not — and largely cannot — genuinely understand what
others are constantly being fed. We are unaware of each other.
Evidence of such isolation is everywhere, but it was
extremely apparent after Charlie Kirk was murdered. After blasting
high-definition videos of his fatal wound to millions of phones, our feeds did
what they’ve always done: provide news tinted in whatever political hue we
like. If the overlord bots thought you didn’t like Charlie, it fed manmade
clips that portrayed him as evil. If they pegged you as a fan, your feed likely
sang his praises.
The correlation between social media and physical damage
to Gen Z is well documented.
In the early 2010s, hospital admissions for self-harm tripled
for girls my age. Emergency room visits for suicidal attempts and ideation
essentially doubled for kids and teenagers, and self-poisonings for
ten-to-twelve-year-old girls quadrupled.
I lived this statistical swell. I remember sitting on my
bedroom floor in Lincoln, Neb., as a high schooler, finding out from Snapchat
that a friend of mine had committed suicide. It was sunny out, the beginning of
fall. We were so young and exposed to so much. It happened again a year later;
following Covid-19 lockdowns, another friend of mine gone.
And while Snapchats disappear, we are trapped by the
permanence of everything else online. I still have the texts and photos my
childhood best friend sent me of her arms bleeding. I can relive with
exactness, nothing lost to the forgiveness of time, how my early teenage self
handled it. Nothing fades. It’s all still there, sitting idly in blue bubbles.
I am a year older than Charlie’s alleged killer, Tyler
Robinson. During his preliminary hearing, in which he was accused of six felony
charges, including aggravated murder, witness tampering, and obstruction of
justice, prosecutors published photos of engraved bullets coated in Tyler’s
DNA.
The bullet engravings were quintessentially Gen Z. In
poor Dremel-inscribed handwriting, the metallic scars referenced furry culture,
Helldivers 2 (a shooter video game), and anti-fascism; one said, “If you
read this, you are gay lmao.”
If there is something more sinister and damning to my
generation than this — internet memes inscribed onto a murder — I would like to
hear it. We are tortured, confused, and segregated from one another. Whether
directly from teachers or indirectly from perverted sections of the internet,
many of us learned to accept perverted views of ourselves, our country, love,
and truth. The fruits of such foundations are beginning to show.
I have followed the aftermath of the gunshot that killed
Charlie Kirk in court, in interviews, and throughout the culture; I have found
that what unifies many involved is sorrow. Sorrow is not simply the absence of
joy. Those who have lost people they love understand that absence is palpable.
It sits on your chest, your shoulders; it seeps in you and comes out again.
Words cannot convey the sorrow Charlie’s murder inflicted
on his family and the family of his killer. But, as I recently read in the Book
of John, there is a light that shines in darkness, which darkness cannot
comprehend. That light is the same that commanded us to love our enemies and to
do good to those who use and persecute us.
In my broken-aux-cord-induced silence last month, I
wracked my brain as to how Gen Z might heal. The answer, I believe, is so
simple: Love God and love thy neighbor as thyself.
Charlie Kirk regularly spoke of Jesus Christ in his
closing remarks, so I will leave you as Charlie would have.
The Savior says, “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.” He says, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
No comments:
Post a Comment