Monday, July 20, 2026

Vance Goes Down the Epstein Rabbit Hole

By Jim Geraghty

Thursday, July 16, 2026

 

Vice President JD Vance appeared on Joe Rogan’s program yesterday, and while the conversation covered many topics, in the second hour, the host steered the conversation to the scandals involving Jeffrey Epstein. The vice president had quite a lot to say on that subject:

 

VANCE: So, what I think a lot of people — I’ve heard this argument is this idea that Donald Trump, you know, was sort of — I’ve even heard people say he was blackmailed into this.

 

ROGAN: Yeah. A lot of people believe this.

 

VANCE: . . . It’s just it’s just not true. I’ve seen the decision making up close. Again, whether you agree or disagree with our negotiation or whether you agree or disagree with the decision to launch the campaign Epic Fury to begin with, the idea that Donald Trump is being like blackmailed is crazy to me because, again, I see the way that he makes decisions. I see the way that he processes this stuff. Like, the idea that he picks up the phone with anybody and says, “Hey, like, I’m going to take orders from you.” No, that’s just not how Donald Trump operates.

 

ROGAN: Can you understand though, why people would come to that conclusion, especially because of the Epstein files?

 

VANCE: What do you mean?

 

ROGAN: Well, the Epstein files were supposed to be released. We were — and there was a tremendous amount of resistance to those files being released.

 

VANCE: Sure.

 

ROGAN: And that concerned a lot of people, because . . . you’re talking about very wealthy, powerful people that were engaged in crimes.

 

VANCE: I see. So, you’re — you’re basically saying, like, there’s a — the fear is that whatever’s in the Epstein files was used to blackmail, like, the administration into doing the Iran thing.

 

ROGAN: Or at the very least the people that were involved in the Epstein files, that didn’t want them coming out, had undue influence.

 

VANCE Well again, like, say this with all candor, like, we absolutely screwed up the comms of the Epstein files. Like, we just did. But do I think the reason we screwed up the comms is because we were trying to hide something? No. I think the reason we screwed up the comms of the Epstein files is one, you know, Pam said, Pam Bondi said the client list is on my desk, right?

 

ROGAN: Well, see, they had binders.

 

VANCE: 100 percent.

 

ROGAN: They were sitting in front–

 

VANCE: But those binders were largely documents that had already been released, right? So, so here’s — let me try to defend—

 

ROGAN: So, what was the purpose of that performative display of the Epstein files, and she was saying there’s tens of thousands of hours of film.

 

VANCE: I don’t know what the purpose of it was, but I know that the effect of it was to make people mistrust the entire effort. And I think — what I think was happening, look, I know Pam. I like Pam. I don’t think there was anything malicious going on. I think Pam was trying to respond to the political moment. I think she overstated what we had and what we didn’t have. And I think that she, you know, got roasted for it publicly by a lot of people, including me. Like, you know, you and I have talked about this a lot. I’m like one of the OG [original gangster, or long-time] Epstein conspiracy theorists. I’ve probably gone down every single rabbit hole. We could go down most of them today.

 

I would make a joke about Bondi getting thrown under the bus, but the former attorney general deserves to get raked over the coals for erroneously telling a Fox News anchor, on live television, that the list of Epstein’s clients is “sitting on my desk right now to review.”

 

A bit later in the conversation, Vance continues:

 

VANCE: Epstein gets pinched. I think he goes to prison, or maybe this is when he was on house arrest. But, like, anything that existed from the ’80s and ’90s up to 2006, 2007, anything that existed that we didn’t get back then, was disappeared. Right? So, like, when people say, has what you’ve seen on the inside make you think that, you know, that Epstein never blackmailed people or that Epstein never engaged in broader sex trafficking? No, absolutely not. What I have seen, and I’ve looked at most of the files, is that there just wasn’t dispositive evidence. And if that dispositive evidence ever existed, it was probably destroyed after 2006, 2007.

 

Vance’s comments are, ironically, echoing the assessment in the unsigned two-page memo released by the U.S Department of Justice and FBI in July 2025 that their investigation had found “no incriminating ‘client list.’ There was also no credible evidence found that Epstein blackmailed prominent individuals as part of his actions. We did not uncover evidence that could predicate an investigation against uncharged third parties.”

 

Vance continued:

 

Now, look, again, in our defense, yes, was there some, you know, b****ing and moaning and was there some back and forth? Yes. But there we eventually collected 6 million documents as part of the effort. The president — people say the president was forced into releasing the documents. Like again, the idea that Donald Trump could not have killed that legislation, especially with the United States Senate, is a joke. He absolutely could have killed it. What did he do? He actually said, “Nope, we’re going to release these files.” He thought, you know, he was annoyed by the story. He was annoyed by the Democrats accusing him of doing things bad.

 

This is a convenient misremembering of history on the part of the vice president. Yes, the president eventually called for releasing the files, but only after furiously opposing it for months, and after it became clear that increasingly vocal congressional majorities opposed keeping them secret.

 

In July 2025, President Trump raged on Truth Social that no one cared about Jeffrey Epstein, and added an out-of-the-blue contention that unspecified “Epstein Files” were created by former President Obama, Hillary Clinton, and other officials from a Democratic administration.

 

On November 12, the administration invited Colorado GOP Representative Lauren Boebert, “one of the Republicans pressing for more Epstein disclosures,” for a briefing in the White House Situation Room with Bondi and FBI director Kash Patel to discuss her demands.

 

The same day, the seating of Arizona Democrat Adelita Grijalva gave the 218th vote to a discharge petition on the Epstein Files Transparency Act. (If the speaker of the House opposes bringing a piece of legislation to the floor, it requires 218 signatures on a discharge petition to overrule the speaker and bring the bill to the floor for a vote.)

 

On November 16, Trump posted on Truth Social, “House Republicans should vote to release the Epstein files, because we have nothing to hide!” Two days later, the Epstein Files Transparency Act passed the House 427–1 and the Senate then passed it without a formal roll-call vote.

 

(Also, it’s an easily forgotten detail, but under the Act, the DOJ was supposed to release all relevant files by December 12; the majority of the files were released January 30.)

 

Later in the conversation, Vance adds:

 

VANCE: The problem is if you go back to the original investigation, it was designed in a way that was way too narrow. If there was a broader conspiracy, and you know, my view is that there probably was. The evidence that existed in 2007, that was the opportunity to get.

 

ROGAN: So, when you say there probably was a broader conspiracy, what exactly are you saying?

 

VANCE: I think there are a few different options. I mean, look, man, like, you could –you and I could literally do two episodes about this. I’ve gone on down every rabbit hole. There’s this funny New York Times story that’s somewhat true, somewhat false, but where Susie Wiles, the White House chief of staff, says, ‘Well, we know JD’s a conspiracy theorist on this.’ Like, I am, actually. I’ve gone down every rabbit hole here.

 

Look, so there’s the theory that whether it was American intel, or foreign intel, that Epstein was sort of using — Epstein was using sort of the sex ring to blackmail rich and powerful people. There’s that piece of it.

 

Vance went on to speculate about Epstein’s involvement with billionaire Les Wexner; their longtime relationship is well established, and Wexner told Congress he was “duped by a world-class con man.” Vance told Rogan, “Epstein was, like, the genius at identifying weird tax strategies that would allow you to not have to pay taxes,” and “Epstein like doing a lot of tax stuff that was not on the up and up and is that one way in which he gained blackmail. It’s not opposite of the sexual blackmail story, but, in some ways . . . you could imagine both things being true.”

 

Epstein has been dead for 2,532 days.

 

It’s a free country, and the vice president is free to speak his mind. But one can wonder how helpful it is for the second-highest-ranking figure in the executive branch to go on one of the country’s most popular podcasts and lay out all of his theories involving Epstein, and to declare that any evidence that would back up his theories has long since been destroyed.

 

Are we really to believe that Epstein was an agent of U.S. intelligence using sex trafficking and blackmail as a tool for American policy for some considerable period of time, and there’s absolutely no way for anyone in this administration to determine if it is true?

 

Or are we really to believe that Epstein was an agent of some foreign intelligence agency, using sex trafficking and blackmail as a tool for that country’s policies for some considerable period of time, and there’s absolutely no way for anyone in our intelligence community to determine if it is true?

 

Inevitably, someone will ask or complain, “Jim, why are you writing about this?” For starters, the vice president talked about the subject at length.

 

ADDENDUM: Our Christian Schneider, keeping us up-to-date on the sterling choices of the Democrats out in Wisconsin: “The Democratic front-runner in the gubernatorial race is 37-year-old State Assemblyman Francesca Hong, a self-described Democratic Socialist who was taken to court last month for failing to pay a decades-old credit card debt of nearly $30,000.”

 

Capital One was asking Hong, quite literally, what was in her wallet, and why it hadn’t been used to pay down the $29,344 debt she had accumulated since 2011. (If you’re doing the math on this, Hong started accumulating that debt at age 22. Her debt is older than iPads, Instagram, Google Chrome, and any of Netflix’s original programming.)

 

I don’t understand how a person can choose to not pay her debts for decades, live what seems like a pretty happy life serving in the state assembly — base salary of about $61,000, for what is effectively a part-time job — and then somehow complain that capitalism is unfair.

No comments: