By David A. Graham
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Stephen Colbert’s Late Show ends in May, and he’s
in almost open warfare with his soon-to-be ex-bosses at CBS. Last night, he had
planned to broadcast an interview with James Talarico, a member of the Texas
state House who is running in a heated Democratic primary for United States
Senate. But it was not to be.
At the start of his show, Colbert told
viewers that CBS had barred him from airing the interview, citing threats
from Brendan Carr, the chair of the Federal Communications Commission. (You may
remember Carr as the guy who sounded like a cartoon mobster while trying to get
Jimmy
Kimmel fired—“We can do this the easy way or the hard way”—drawing a rebuke
from Senator Ted Cruz.)
Colbert savaged CBS. He said that the network had told
him not to talk about it, which he defied in dramatic fashion. “I want to
assure you, ladies and gentlemen—please—I want to assure you, this decision is
for purely financial reasons,” he joked, a sly reference to the rationale that
CBS gave for ending his show. Colbert posted the interview on his show’s
YouTube channel. CBS said in a statement that The Late Show “was not
prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview with Rep. James Talarico. The
show was provided legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC
equal-time rule for two other candidates, including Rep. Jasmine Crockett, and
presented options for how the equal time for other candidates could be
fulfilled.”
I
wrote in July that CBS’s leadership had lost the benefit of the doubt, and
the network’s actions since its parent company’s merger with Skydance and the appointment
of Bari Weiss as editor in chief of CBS News have reinforced that. CBS
deserves plenty of criticism for cowardice. But that doesn’t mean it’s
incorrect to fear FCC action.
Last month, the FCC issued a notice about the
equal-time rule, a century-old regulation that says that a broadcast
station that provides time to one candidate must provide an equal forum to a
rival. The rule has an exemption for “bona fide news”—basically, producers can
decide what to cover in their programming, because anything else would
constitute government interference in the free press. In 2006, the FCC
determined that interviews on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno fit under
the exemption even if they are not strictly news programming, a precedent that
shows have relied on since.
But the new notice states that “the FCC has not been
presented with any evidence that the interview portion of any late night or
daytime television talk show program on air presently would qualify for the
bona fide news exemption.” (Carr has not extended this reasoning to talk
radio, which conservatives dominate.) This is not just bluster. Earlier
this month, Fox News reported
that the FCC was investigating ABC’s daytime talk show The View, which
has become an important stop for politicians seeking to reach the show’s
heavily female audience, for violating the equal-time rule. The reported object
of Carr’s ire? An interview with one James Talarico.
The Talarico dustups are among several incidents in the
past few days that show the Trump administration’s enthusiasm for censoring
speech by both the press and ordinary citizens. One year ago, I wrote that
Donald Trump and his allies were free-speech
phonies who, having campaigned against censorship, were eager to impose it.
The threat to First Amendment rights has gotten worse since then.
Earlier this month, The
Washington Post’s John Woodrow Cox reported on a retiree who used a
publicly available email address to encourage an attorney at the Department of
Homeland Security to have mercy on an asylum seeker. In response, DHS sent
federal agents to the man’s door and demanded access to his Google accounts,
using a tool called an administrative subpoena that doesn’t require a judge or
grand jury to approve. On Friday, The
New York Times reported that Google, Reddit, Discord, and Meta in
recent months have received “hundreds” of administrative subpoenas from DHS
seeking access to information about the accounts of people who have criticized
the government. (DHS told both papers that it was acting within its authority
but didn’t give any detailed response.)
The goals of both DHS and the FCC in these cases are to
intimidate critics and stifle dissent. This is staggering hypocrisy. During the
presidential campaign, Trump accused the Biden administration of undermining
free speech by asking—though not demanding—that social-media companies remove
misinformation about COVID. On day one of his administration, Trump issued an executive
order that charged, “Over the last 4 years, the previous administration
trampled free speech rights by censoring Americans’ speech on online platforms,
often by exerting substantial coercive pressure on third parties, such as
social media companies, to moderate, deplatform, or otherwise suppress speech
that the Federal Government did not approve.” This is a good description of
what Trump’s administration is doing now.
Some repression efforts fail. Last week, the federal
district-court judge Richard Leon, a President George W. Bush appointee,
temporarily blocked Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth from punishing Senator Mark
Kelly, a Navy veteran, for a video in which he and other members of Congress
remind current service members that they can and should refuse illegal orders.
“This Court has all it needs to conclude that Defendants have trampled on
Senator Kelly’s First Amendment freedoms and threatened the constitutional liberties
of millions of military retirees,” Leon wrote.
The ruling is a welcome defense of Americans’ freedoms,
but it can’t reverse all of the damage. Kelly is unusually well positioned to
fight back and take the administration to court. Not
every would-be critic is. And censorship, once established by a president,
has ways of spreading its tendrils to other institutions. At one state
university in Texas, for example, a philosophy professor was forced to remove
passages of Plato from his syllabus because of new policies passed by
governor-appointed regents, and an art
exhibition critical of ICE was abruptly canceled at another Texas
university.
These attacks are clearly partisan: They all target
speech by critics of the president, his party, or his policies. But they should
be scary even if you feel that Colbert doesn’t deserve a news exemption, The
View is too liberal, or Kelly was out of line. Crackdowns on speech by
prominent figures pave a way for the government to regulate speech more
broadly, which should be concerning for people of any political leaning because
the party and people in power can change.
During a Senate hearing last week, Senator Ron Johnson, a
Wisconsin Republican, accused Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, a
Democrat, of being responsible for the deaths of Alex Pretti and Renee Good
because he supported protests. Johnson began, “Did you ever encourage people to
go out there and exercise the First—”
“I freely admit being in favor of the First Amendment,” Ellison shot back. This
position is apparently not as common among elected officials as you might hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment