Friday, March 18, 2011
Editor’s Note: The language of quoted material, including profanity, has been preserved.
‘We will hunt you down. We will slit your throats. We will drink your blood. I will have your decapitated head on a pike in the Madison town square. This is your last warning.”
Is this a passage from Bram Stoker’s Dracula? A snippet from al-Qaeda’s latest missive? No, this e-mail reached Wisconsin state senator Dan Kapanke (R., La Crosse) on March 9, after he voted for GOP governor Scott Walker’s controversial budget and labor reforms.
Kapanke is not alone. While the mainstream media generally yawn, leftists threaten top Wisconsin Republicans with murder.
“Across the whole Republican caucus, I think we have received at least a dozen, credible, specific death threats,” one well-placed legislative staffer in Madison told me. “This was not just ‘Go to Hell,’ but threats that rose to a level that made people feel unsafe.”
The Left launched its civility campaign on January 8, after Jared Lee Loughner’s alleged, fatal shooting spree in Tucson. Barely two months later, the Left killed its own initiative in Madison, when politics interfered.
“The Wisconsin Department of Justice, Division of Criminal Investigation and the Wisconsin Capitol Police have investigated numerous threats against elected officials over the last four weeks,” Wisconsin’s DOJ stated March 11. DCI chief Ed Wall added: “The Division of Criminal Investigation takes these kinds of threats seriously and will follow through with the investigation and prosecution whenever possible.”
Wisconsin officials have identified the sender of two specific death threats e-mailed to 15 Republican state senators at 9:18 p.m. on March 10. They will not release the suspect’s name while their probe continues. However, these chilling (uncorrected) words now are on the record:
Subject line: Atten: Death threat!!!! Bomb!!!!Consider some of the pro-union-Left’s other death threats:
I want to make this perfectly clear. Because of your actions today and in the past couple of weeks I and the group of people that are working with me have decided that we’ve had enough. We feel that you and your republican dictators have to die. This is how it’s going to happen: I as well as many others know where you and your family live, it’s a matter of public records. We have all planned to assult you by arriving at your house and putting a nice little bullet in your head. However, this isn’t enough. We also have decided that this may not be enough to send the message. So we have built several bombs that we have placed in various locations around the areas in which we know that you frequent. This includes, your house, your car, the state capitol, and well I won’t tell you all of them because that’s just no fun. Since we know that you are not smart enough to figure out why this is happening to you we have decided to make it perfectly clear to you. If you and your goonies feel that it’s necessary to strip the rights of 300,000 people and ruin their lives, making them unable to feed, clothe, and provide the necessities to their families and themselves then We will “get rid of” (in which I mean kill) the 8 of you. Please understand that this does not include the heroic Senator that risked everything to go aganist what you and your goonies wanted him to do. The 8 includes the 7 senators and the dictator. We feel that it’s worth our lives becasue we would be saving the lives of 300,000 people. Please make your peace with God as soon as possible and say goodbye to your loved ones we will not wait any longer. Goodbye ASSHOLE!!!!
FUCK YOU ASSHOLE, I AM FORMALLY REQUESTING TO SEE THE 30,000 EMAILS YOU HAVE GOTTEN MAKING YOU COMPLY WITH THE OPEN RECORDS LAW. I ASSURE YOU THAT NONE OF THEM ARE IN SUPPORT OF YOU OR ANYTHING THAT YOU OR YOUR STAFF STAND FOR. YOUR STAFF MEMBERS HAVE NOW BEEN ADDED TO THE HIT LIST AS WELL AS THOSE OF THE OTHER SENATE MEMBERS WE HAVE THREATENED. PLEASE ADVISE THEM OF THE IMPENDING DANGER LEADING TO THIER DEATHS.
● Police in Eau Claire arrested anti-Walker protester Patrick J. Knauf, 43, on March 2. He allegedly phoned in a bomb threat against Heartland Aviation, where Walker conducted press conferences on February 28 and March 2.
● On the morning of March 3, 41 rounds of .22-caliber ammunition appeared on the capitol grounds in Madison.
“I don’t like to see live ammunition outside when I have significant crowds,” University of Wisconsin Police chief Susan Riseling testified at a court hearing on protesters’ access to the structure. “You can’t do much with live ammunition without the gun, but the presence of it doesn’t thrill me.”
● “It’s not safe, I think, to be walking on the street and be a Republican in Madison right now. The hatred on the Left is just out of control,” GOP state senator Glenn Grothman told CNN on March 10. “I have never seen a lobbying group more angry,” Someone slipped a note under his office door. In red letters, it said: “THE ONLY GOOD Republican is a DEAD Republican.”
● Wisconsin Tea Party Patriots coordinator Mike Hintz recalls sitting in his suburban Milwaukee home on March 12 when his cell phone rang. “There was a male caller on the phone and he said ‘I hope you’re wearing a bullet-proof vest’ and hung up.” As Hintz told WISN-TV: “I took it to mean this person was threatening my life by shooting me.” Hintz believes he was targeted because of his prominent support of Governor Walker’s budget-repair bill. While police could not trace the call, they increased patrols of Hintz’s neighborhood.
● A Wisconsinite named Bill Spears sent one state-capitol staffer this uncorrected, homophobic e-mail on Wednesday:
I saw your remarks in todays paper about the people who appose the Walker Plan-you sorry piece of shit-you won’t have your cushy job very much longer-as soon as we get your boss the faggot Fitzgerald recalled – the sorry fucking parasite on the taxpayer of Wisconsin- every damn one of you should be exterminated-The giant graffiti wall that is Twitter features numerous calls for Governor Walker’s murder, complete with egregious spelling and grammatical errors:
It is your covey of little shitbirds that are worse than child molesters-You fuck faces you forget who pays your salary-I can’t wait until you are right in the unemployment line behind the rest of us-were you in the barrel list night-which orifice do you prefer?
● Drew R. Hood (screen name DrewHood) wrote: “Walker must die. Write that 500 times fast.”
● Lamar Smith (Mough_Dough): “Dey need to gone head & kill Scott Walker. Im tired of hearing about this shit.”
● Lauren Kauffman (lauren_2121): “I hope scott walker dies. someone please shoot him?!”
● Josh Harmon (jritsynme): “Scott walker is destroying the state of Wisconsin!!! I wish a anvel would fall out of the sky and KILL the scumbag!!!”
● Jody on FishHawk (FishHawkRdJody): “GovWalker soon as we starve you, shove you in filthy shacks w/100 others & kill most of UR family THEN you can use holocaust. U vile cretin.”
● Jeconti (J-Shack): “Scott walker cut food stamps its over he getting assassinated..!”
Lee Stranahan, a self-described “pro-choice, pro–single payer, antiwar, pro–gay rights independent liberal,” is appalled at the mainstream media’s ho-hum attitude about this outrage.
“Proven death threats against politicians are being ignored by the supposedly honest media,” he wrote Tuesday in the left-of-center Huffington Post. “It’s bad, biased journalism that will lead to no possible good outcome, and progressives should be leading the charge against it.”
These death threats are doubly pernicious:
At worst, they are truly homicidal, if those sending them actually intend to murder those whom they threaten.
At best, even empty threats are anti-democratic, since they can intimidate elected officials, activists, and other citizens into milquetoast governance and advocacy.
Are the Right’s hands spotless in Wisconsin? If they are not pristine, they seem far less potentially bloody.
Democratic spokesman Graeme Zielinski told WISN-TV that volunteers aiming to recall GOP state senator Alberta Darling got roughed up on March 13.
“They were physically assaulted,” Zielinski said, “They had their clipboards thrown, petitions destroyed, buttons torn off of them.”
Shame! Whoever did this should be prosecuted, and their example never repeated — on the right, or elsewhere.
Now, where is the condemnation against the anti-Walker Left for its criminal behavior?
In the Battle of Madison, and perhaps beyond, death threats appear to be a virtually exclusive tool of the pro-union Left.
That suggests two possibilities:
Pro-taxpayer rightists would love to issue death threats, but resist temptation, knowing full well that the slumbering mainstream media would arise, showcase such a development, and discredit conservatives.
Or, maybe, free-marketeers have not issued death threats, because — compared to their left-wing counterparts — they simply are better people.